MEET OUR STAFF:
Michelle Mauric, KIRDO Office Administrator - Michelle supports us though her position at KIRDO, so information on KINRM activities and projects is available during KIRDO opening hours. Phone 03 6462 1778. Currently her reduced hours are Monday to Friday 12pm – 4pm and Saturday 10am – 12pm.
Weed Crew- All staff are working alone to ensure social distancing. Planting native tree seedlings continues at Currie wharf, and council projects. Weed eradication continues at Boggy Creek, Currie wharf, private properties and Pegarah Reserve.
FARMERS Funding Round open NOW $1000-$10,000 grants.
This is your chance to apply for funding through the Landcare Action Grants for practical on-ground works for sustainable agriculture and Rivercare type activities.
Types of activities eligible include:
• Removing weeds (small scale projects not otherwise funded, such as by the Weed Action Fund)
• Fencing to protect natural values
• Providing off-stream watering points
• Controlling pest animals
• Maintaining and improving ground cover (including pastures)
• Protecting and enhancing on-farm remnant native vegetation, including planting of new areas of native vegetation, and improving the management of existing remnants
• Managing fire regimes
• Protecting and revegetating habitat (including threatened species and communities)
• Habitat augmentation, such as installation of artificial fauna movement devices, artificial nesting or roosting habitat, environmental thinning or seed banking
For more information https://tfga.com.au/environment/landcare
Geology of King Island - These two wonderful publications are available for purchase from KIRDO, 5 George Street:
• A Guide to the Geology of King Island Part 1, 2016 by Clive Calver
• Geology of King Island Part 2 - Excursions, 2016 by Clive Calver